In continuing my notes from a writer’s conference, the following comes from Dr. Dennis Hensley about non-fiction writing. He gives 7 Never Miss Topics and 4 Fairly Safe Categories.
Never Miss Topics
- Lifestyles: People what to know how and why people live the way they do. For example, why do people give up careers to do missions?
- Money: How to make it, collect it, invest it, handle it etc.
- Personal advancement ideas and plans: telling people how to get ahead in life.
- Activities: individual, family, group. People don’t know what to do without a TV. What to do on trips.
- Physical Fitness: Exercise, diet, living longer, how to look and feel better.
- Mental health and emotional fitness: how to deal with stress, find peace
- Entertainment: the cheaper the better, how do you have a good time without spending much money? What to do with your family.
Fairly safe categories
- Profiles: people enjoy reading about people, has to be someone interesting, not necessarily famous
- Unusual events: get an angle
- Crime: people are worried about crime. How can they prevent it?
- Schooling and schooling innovations: why are there big movements in dealing with public school? How do parents help students with homework?