Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Word from Matthew Pearl, author of The Last Dickens

Dear friends,

 

My novel THE LAST DICKENS (Random House) is out in paperback today in the US and Canada! If you haven't had a chance to read it yet, this is a great time to show booksellers support for the book at your local store or online. (You can order at www.matthewpearl.com/dickens/order.html)

 

If you already have the hardcover, I hope you'll consider picking up the paperback as a gift for someone, and do pass along this email to anyone who might be interested. There is a Readers' Guide in the back of the paperback perfect for book clubs. Your support for the books, as always, means everything.

 

THE LAST DICKENS, a National Bestseller and an Editor's Choice by the New York Times Book Review, is a literary thriller that begins when Dickens's sudden death leaves his final mystery novel unfinished. His young American publisher James Osgood sets out on a quest from Boston to England to discover how Dickens's novel was going to end, unleashing a real-life puzzle that becomes a matter of life and death. Lots more at www.MATTHEWPEARL.com! A companion volume is also out today: a new edition of Charles Dickens's THE MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD from Modern Library for which I wrote an introduction and served as editor (more at www.matthewpearl.com/dickens/edwin.html)

 

If you're in New England, come celebrate the publication of the paperback of THE LAST DICKENS with me at the Westford Library in Westford, MA on October 8 and the Peabody Institute Library of Danvers, MA on November 9, as well as at the first literary luncheon for Literary Matters in Old Greenwich, CT on October 27. I will be honoring the anniversary of Edgar Allan Poe's death by speaking about THE POE SHADOW in Attleboro, MA on October 7. After this summer's trips to Italy and Spain, I'll continue talking about THE LAST DICKENS in translation when I go to Guadalajara, Mexico at the end of November. I will also be in the Plano, TX area (October 14-16) and Irving, TX (October 20) for speaking events about THE POE SHADOW, and will be back in Texas at the end of April/early May when I go to Mansfield, where THE LAST DICKENS will be the city's Book in Common. Details on all of these events and others as they're added at www.matthewpearl.com/news.html ... Because I don't like to clutter inboxes, I only send emails for book publications or events in your area, so check my site for other updates.

 

Please register and join in the conversation about THE LAST DICKENS at my LibraryThing chat (http://www.librarything.com/topic/74513), where I'm answering questions, and at the full-blown book club discussion at SeniorLearn (http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=840.0), where they are reading the novel section by section and I'm giving my two cents where I can. Plus, I've been blogging! I post my entries--about my books, writing in general and literary history--simultaneously at my Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Matthew-Pearl-author/29977879540) and MySpace pages (http://www.myspace.com/quentinclark), so please join one of those and chime in on anything that interests you. You can also follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/MatthewPearl

 

Looking for more reading choices? See below for my latest recommendations.

 

Happy autumn,

 

Matthew

 

No comments: